Thursday, March 22, 2012

I Want to See Jesus


Songwriter, worship leader Paul Baloche has written a classic contemporary praise song called “Open the Eyes of My Heart.”  Paul prays that God will open the eyes of his heart because, he says, “I want to see you.” The prayer is that Jesus would make himself known in a very real way; that we might get a glimpse of his glory. What a wonderful prayer. We believe, but we have not seen. We want to see Jesus.

I was talking with my friend Julie Lynn one day and we were talking about faith, and she told me that Jesus was as real to her as the coffee table that sat between us.  She has a faith that is solid and sure. But what is faith? Hebrews chapter 11 is all about the meaning of faith. Hebrews 11:1: says that "… faith is assurance of things hoped for and the conviction of things not seen." and in verse six goes on to say, "And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who seek him." [NRSV] 

You can see Jesus at work though the saints that surround your life. Those who are always giving, always concerned, always willing to help are witnesses to the face of love which is Jesus. We can see God though the grandeur of nature, where one can find perfection and peace. We can be still, and through the stillness know that God is there, and with our very breath we can inspire the beauty of the holiness that is Father, Son and Holy Spirit. We can believe, and through our faith we can touch the face of God. 

Lord God, increase my faith in you, my love for you, and my devotion to your work. Amen.

1 comment:

  1. I thank and praise God for all the saints that surround me at Word of Peace! We are so blessed with wonderful pastors and teachers who encourage and challenge us to live our faith in our daily lives!

    ReplyDelete